Cheryl Gnagey - Author, Speaker, Spiritual Coach

Cheryl Gnagey - Author, Speaker, Spiritual Coach

Monday, December 31, 2012

Welcoming The New Year

Pin It Originally: How To Add a Pinterest (Pin it) Button to your Blog/Website http://cs-doon.blogspot.com/#ixzz1ryXJUBEC
As 2012 is drawing quickly to a close, my flesh wants desperately to do what it has done for countless years.  It desires to make plans and promises regarding how I will live in the coming new year.  For as long as I have been old enough to understand what a resolution is, I have made them.  Some were utterly ridiculous, while others have been truly important and desired out of my love for God.  But the truth of my resolutions has been just that:  they were MY resolutions.  You see, I have always been a planning,  goal-setting and goal-achieving sort of girl.  But if this past year has taught me one thing it would be that all my plans and goals and resolutions will come to nothing if they are not in line with God's plans for me.  This has been the principle that God has been driving home (sometimes painfully) in my heart in 2012.  This has been the year that He took all of the comfort of my plans and goals and turned them upside down.  And I know He has only had one purpose in mind:  to help me see clearly my self-sufficiency that keeps me from greater intimacy with Him.

As I turn my gaze from looking back at 2012, I see the coming year with eyes that cannot detect exactly what lies ahead.  I know I am not alone in this for none of us knows what our future holds.  But I am excited this year at my inability to "have a plan,"  because it is forcing me to live in greater trust and dependence on the only One who knows the plans He has for me.  He is asking me, "Will you surrender ALL to Me?"  I know my heart desires that, but will I be faithful to do it?

So instead of making well-meaning resolutions and promises this New Year to do this or not do that, I only seek to sit more at the feet of Jesus, simply listening to Him as He tells me all the plans He has for me, day to day, and even moment to moment.  It is in this simple act of surrender that I will truly find joy and peace and rest in 2013.  This is the "better part" that Mary discovered.  What a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders as I place the government of my life upon the shoulders of the One who was sent to carry it.

May you find this same joy and peace and rest in 2013!

With love and gratitude for you all!
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment