Cheryl Gnagey - Author, Speaker, Spiritual Coach

Cheryl Gnagey - Author, Speaker, Spiritual Coach

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Navigating The Rough Terrain

Pin It Originally: How To Add a Pinterest (Pin it) Button to your Blog/Website http://cs-doon.blogspot.com/#ixzz1ryXJUBEC

Can you stand another quote from Jesus Calling, and my personal "take" on it?  In the past, I have spent the year reading (and re-reading) through the Word, always gleaning new insights and realizations as the Holy Spirit teaches me.  I would read 3-4 chapters a day and get up from the table utterly "filled up."  But this year the Lord called me to something different.  He led me to this little devotional, and it is the basis of my daily study and introspection.  I have to say that these little nuggets have been ministering to me in fresh and new ways.  And though it is just a "morsel" a day, compared to a Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings, these little bits are boring giant holes in my sin-stained heart and sustaining me spiritually in the same way a "meat and potato" meal would.    If you desire, keep following me as the Spirit continues to conform me into the image of Christ . . . and let Him do the same in your life! 

"Learn to appreciate difficult days.  Be stimulated by the challenges you encounter along your way.  As you journey through rough terrain with Me, gain confidence from your knowledge that together we can handle anything.  This knowledge is comprised of three parts:  your relationship with Me, promises in the Bible, and past experiences of coping successfully during hard times."  (November 8, page 327)

I am struck by the fact that I walk through so much of my day, every day, with so few glances toward my Lord.  And on those days that are fraught with difficult moments, I find that I am more prone to grumble, complain, and do my fair share of whining as I tell my 'woes' to others.  It is my comfortable default, and it is so much easier than crucifying my own flesh in order to make the adjustment of my focus.  The root problem is that my 'self' wants the focus to be on me and my hard day, and just how irritated and frustrated I am.  In that mode of operation there is no room for "appreciation" of the issue at hand, nor am I "stimulated" by the challenges of the day.   When I am stuck in that mindset, I will likely never choose to turn my focus to the Lord.

But as I consider this little morsel, I am reminded that God always gives a way out.  I don't have to walk in sinful attitudes when the going gets rough.  He has clearly told me in His Word (Phil. 4:13) that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  I have know that to be true for a very long time, but just because I know it doesn't mean that I do it!  In this little devotional God showed me today that my true knowledge of this verse not only lies in being able to call it to mind or quote it, but this great knowledge in me comes from 3 other sources. 

  1. My relationship with Him
  2. All the promises of the Bible
  3. Past experiences of coping successfully in rough times

I will grow in this area of dealing with the rough terrain by the godliness within me when these three things are in full bloom in my heart.  Today is the day to recognize (again) how important my daily time with God is.  It is the primary source of building my relationship with Him.  My personal, one-on-one, prayer time (a lazy area for me) and study of the Word (my soul's delight) must be working in tandem for me to become more intimate with Christ.  Both must be solidly in place. One without the other will leave my walk lacking.  There is nothing that grows this relationship more.  It is helpful for me  to remember that group studies and prayer times have their benefits for sure, but it is when it is just Jesus and me that intimacy grows quickly.

The first item listed plays right into the second.  I cannot learn the promises of the Bible, given to encourage me especially in the rough days, without spending lots of time in it.  The more time I spend in the Word, the more that its words will come to mind exactly when I need them.  "You can't know what you don't know" (a new Cherylism), so it is my responsibility to learn the promises of God so that the Holy Spirit can bring them back to my mind as necessary.  The work is not all His; I have to do my part as well.

The last point of the devotional is a challenge to my heart, and therefore a place for much work to be done.  When faced with the rough terrain, I often am forgetful of the countless times that God has brought me through by being the strength and wisdom that I have needed.  It seems to me that I am constantly "starting over" as if it is the very first time that I have been slammed with hard days.  I think that taking a moment to remember how God has previously helped me successfully navigate the rough seas would be a true spiritual breakthrough for me on those days.  Remembering those moments would be a very good way for me to initially shift my focus from me to the mighty works of God that I have personally experienced.

But even 'knowing' these three things is still not 'doing' them.  O Lord, I pray that by your Spirit you will remind me of these on my next hard day.  My heart's desire is to follow this godly pattern.  I pray that it will be my reality the next time it needs to be!  Then I can truthfully say from my heart, "To You be ALL the glory!"

No comments:

Post a Comment