Cheryl Gnagey - Author, Speaker, Spiritual Coach

Cheryl Gnagey - Author, Speaker, Spiritual Coach

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Are You A Busybody?

Pin It Originally: How To Add a Pinterest (Pin it) Button to your Blog/Website http://cs-doon.blogspot.com/#ixzz1ryXJUBEC
When I was 6 years old, my family got its first pet.  Tippy was her name (because of the white tip on her tail), and she looked very much like this sad-eyed beagle.  I wasn't much of a "dog person," having really preferred to have a cute, adorable, fluffy kitten, but my brothers and dad outnumbered my mom and me.

Every third day it was my job to take Tippy her food and water (a child must learn responsibility at a young age!).  But there was just one problem:  every time I entered the pen, Tippy would jump up on me, eager to have her one meal of the day.  I disliked very much that she did this, and in a quite normal reflex, I would lift the food bowl above my head out of fear.  You can imagine what happened then!  You see, I just didn't know the natural tendencies of a dog.  I had to learn them, and Dad was my teacher.  He also taught me one other thing about dogs--never, EVER, pull their ears.  They really don't like that!  I had completely forgotten about this tidbit of information that I was given as a child, until I read today's passages in my read-through-the Bible plan.  Proverbs 26:17 jumped off the page and took me back to my childhood and this one particular thing I learned from Dad.  Read it and smile with me!
"Like one who takes a dog by the ears is he who passes by and meddles with strife not belonging to him."
What an incredible and powerful image that came to mind as I read that this morning!  

I had to really think about what this verse was saying.  The one who meddles in the business of another is like the one who would cruelly yank on a dog's ears.  This kind would be considered lacking in compassion, mean at heart, and inhumane.

So what is really meant by the term "meddles".  If we are to understand the gist of this verse, we must understand first what meddling is.  In translating the Hebrew, it was found to mean this--"to alienate and provoke to anger, to run over the top of," and its primitive root is "to cross over."  In other words, to meddle it jump into someone else's strife, in such a way that you "take charge" of their situation by speaking out your opinions on the matter.  And in so doing, you alienate them, and possibly make them quite angry with you.  

As you can see, this is quite different than being asked your opinion and expertise in a mentoring sort of fashion.  On the contrary, to meddle in someone's strife is to speak out from some place of assumed "authority," and to lord over them, not only your superiority, but all of your thoughts on the matter that you assume are correct.  (Certainly more correct than the one with an issue; otherwise, they wouldn't be experiencing strife in their situation, right?)

I think we can cross the bridge and say that if we are meddling in the affairs of others, we are busybodies who will likely offend and make angry those who are suffering in their strife.  They will likely hear our meddlings in a way that will likely cause them to rise up in anger, maybe even viciously.  There response will be akin to how a dog would respond if you pull its ears.

We would be wise to remember this analogy given to the wisest man on the earth.  Solomon was given great wisdom and understanding to both the good and bad nature of man.  Consider carefully each time you come in contact with someone who is having difficulty in their personal lives.  Is God calling you to speak a word of encouragement or exhortation?  If you choose to run ahead of Him, and blurt out all that you are thinking on the matter, you might be received as an "ear-puller" and end up with an "angry dog" lurching at you, ready to attack you for being a busybody meddler.  And who could blame them?  We might just react the same way if we are treated that way.

This challenges me.  Does it you?

2 comments:

  1. There is a huge difference between giving a word of encouragement or exhortation and giving someone unwanted advice or opinions. We would all do well to stick with an encouraging word and keep our opinions to ourselves unless you have been asked. And even then we need to be very careful. Advice needs to be based on truth which is the Bible. Opinions can be dangerous. Be wise and think before speaking. The Holy Spirit just may tell you to close your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The right words at the wrong time can be just as damaging as the wrong words!

    ReplyDelete